[geeks] My love/hate with Mickeysoft...

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 23 16:25:45 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, September 23, 2001 at 11:56:36 (-0700), Peter L. Wargo wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] My love/hate with Mickeysoft...
>
> I seem to be running hot/cold with Microsoft again.  One one hand, they
> have produced some of my favorite Mac software, like Word and IE. (Word
> was a Mac product first, as was Excell.  Powerpoint was also Mac first,
> but was a product of another company...)

Just because M$ wrote some software that Apple was able to continue to
keep working nicely on the Mac doesn't mean you should use it.

IMNSHO IE generally sucks, even on the Mac.  But then most browsers
suck.

The only thing good about IE was that Apple were able to port it to Aqua
under OS X without M$'s help and supposedly without too much trouble.

> They are pulling Java support from IE.  They have their own answers to
> questions that have already been asked, like Windows Media player, Active
> X, and their answer to the univeral VST plug-ins for sequencing.
>
> Why?? Why in the hell to they come out with another format, when we have
> Quicktime, MP3's, and the like already?  It just adds another layer of
> confusion.

Because they must have proprietary control in order to continue to
increase their market share.

DO NOT USE M$ SOFTWARE!  You have fallen into their trap.  "All your $$$
are belong to M$!"

MacOS (pre-X) sucks, but at least people have good reasons for using it.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>