[geeks] funny way to start the day

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 09:50:48 CDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 08:40:42AM -0400, John Duksta wrote:
> Anyway, after I got done telling him how to get the bridge
> filter setup on RLN, he starts asking me to tell him how
> to setup a DHCP server on NT. I calmly tell him "Sorry,
> but I can't do that. I support RLN, not NT. If you're
> having trouble getting your DHCP server setup, you'll
> have to contact Microsoft." He starts getting all irate
> on me, saying that he's evaluating the product for a
> potentially large account and that if I don't help him
> with this, he'll recommend another product. I transferred
> him over to my manager, who told him the same thing I did.

Reminds me of the customer who wanted to get 128K ISDN connections
at all of his locations, to do filesharing via Windows Networking
over.  I warned him it would be slow.

He did it anyway.

He complained that it was slow, and that we had something
"configured wrong".

I explained that these were NOT t1 connections, and that Windows
Networking was not designed to be used over 128Kbit connections.

I finally got on a 3-way conference call with this guy, myself, a
guy from Microsoft, and a guy from Ascend (he was using Pipeline 50s
and 75s).  THEY explained that this was not a "recommended configuration".

I emailed this guy (and his boss) a multiple-page email explaining exactly
why this was slow, etc.  Worst thing was, this guy was a *consultant*, and
was telling the customer that the slowness was *our* (the ISPs) fault.  We
quickly got on the horn with the customer and told them everything that had
gone on.

He (consultant) still complained.  He ended up switching to another ISP, who told him
the very same thing.

Oh well, win some, lose some.

Bill

--