[geeks] Re: [edoc at citicom.com: [cfgeeks] Re: Red Cross Bills?] (Bill Bradford)

Robert Slover geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 17 22:51:52 CDT 2001

It is true.  In the mid-70s, my family lost everything in a flood.  I
was 8 years old IIRC.  The Red Cross 'gave' my mother a pushbroom and
sturdy rag mop, and some other cleaning supplies (which all came to
naught, since the house itself was useless after the basement walls
caved in).  Shortly thereafter, she was surprised to get a bill from the
Red Cross.  My grandmother verified that this was 'standard' procedure
for them.  They are not a charity, but I don't think they expect to turn
a profit either.  I'm not sure if all chapters do this, and it is my
understanding that chapters function fairly independently.

I think the main difficulty I have with it is that no warning is given
that you'll be billed.
I know my mother certainly wouldn't have accepted the cleaning materials
if she'd
known what she was being charged...we were a poor family, and the prices
were quite beyond what we'd ordinarily have made due with.

There are many other organizations that accept donations even while they
charge for services...most colleges, for example...and the members of
the Red Cross are pledged to go into harm's way with the Armed Forces as
need be.  As well, they provide services beyond 'disaster' relief, with
things like 'Lifeline' which offers 24-hour telephone counselers to
potential suicides, domestic abuse victims, rape and incest victims,
etc...their costs are therefore probably greater than a 'pure' disaster
relief group.  My feelings about it are mixed...they certainly 'appear'
to provide relief without compensation...but experience indicates
otherwise...they do not advertise this fact...and likely receive more
'donations' as a consequence.  If this is the practice of individual
chapters it bothers me less than if it is a practice of the national
organization.  Their FAQ does not mention it at all.

--Robert