[geeks] [edoc at citicom.com: [cfgeeks] Re: Red Cross Bills?]

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 17 15:32:57 CDT 2001

Interesting thought/discussion from another list.  Anybody know if this is
BS, or what?

Bill

----- Forwarded message from edoc <edoc at citicom.com> -----

To: <cfgeeks at yahoogroups.com>
From: "edoc" <edoc at citicom.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:20:00 -0400
Subject: [cfgeeks] Re:  Red Cross Bills?

You certain it was a "bill"?  They really have no authority to issue bills.

I am guessing it was a statement of the approximate cost and a
request for a "donation" to replace that expenditure so that they might
serve others.

I'll have to ask the Red Cross folks over here.

Doc

  I was taling with my Dad and Grandpa, and they had some interesting views about the red cross.  One of them had a buddy in Pearl Harbor, he was wounded and mildly burned.  The red corss helped patch him up, and gave him a new set of clothes to wear (everything he had was on his ship that went down).  He caught the next train home, and one month later, the Red Cross sends him a bill for the clothes that they gave him.  There was no mention that they were going to charge him for it, what the heck? They also heard of other stories like that second-hand as well.  He said to ask almost any WWII era veteran and he was sure they would have or heard of like stories.

  Also, I have heard that they bill entities that they help, one time my Dad was helping out in an airplane crash at NY while he was in the reserves in the 60's, He was talking with some of the staff and learned then that the Airlines always get a bill from the Red Cross after a disaster for all hours staffed, supplies, etc..

  So it seems they act more like an ambulatory service, charging for their services and asking for donations.

  Has anyone else heard of these stories?

  They did speak highly of the Salvation Army relief efforts, and that they were more of a true service entity, and were not out to bill the victims they helped.

  Gil Young
  Call Sign: KG4KVX
  "It's Clobbering Time", The Thing, Fantastic Four, Marvel Comics

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net