[geeks] sony repair experience

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 16 21:28:03 CDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 09:25:48PM -0500, Reagen B. Ward wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 10:08:15PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > Have you considered building your own TOSlink DAC?  It seems that it could
> > be done realatively easy these days.  One DAC chip (from say Crystal
> > Semiconductors) and perhaps the smallest bit of logic should be about all
> > you need.  There are numerous documents out on the net about doing so.  I
> > keep intending to take this sort of project up.
>
> Hmmn.  That may be cheaper than repairing the juke.

Perhaps a harder project than absoutely nescesary, but particularly
interesting is this:
http://www.quadesl.com/dac.shtml

A tube dac.  It doesn't say what format signal it expects.  This is where
the possibility of a small bit of logic comes into play.

http://www.diyaudio.com/ also seems to have a fair amount of relevent
info.  I keep wanted to get into tube hacking, and getting things to
interface with a PeeCee afforably for fun and profit.

--
Joshua D. Boyd