[geeks] [ndronen at frii.com: Re: [SunHELP] Re: Terrorism]

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 16 14:38:11 CDT 2001

That's more like it - this is slightly closer to the proper forum...

> some Pakistani Muslims.  While it *is* off-topic on this list, it's
> right and proper to give his email a sympathetic reading.  Political
> views -- unlike racist ones -- deserve a fair shake.

I disagree.  He may have right to say whatever he wants.  I have a right to
"delete with extreme prejudice".  I no more have to read his diatribe than
he does mine.  You can't make me read it no more than I can force you to
read the Vi Pocket Reference.  That is my perogative, and I stand by it.

> There is, after all, nothing reprehensible about expressing anti-U.S.
> views, whether you're from Pakistan, Sweden, or the U.S. -- unless,
> of course, you're a blindly strident nationalist.

hmmmm....  "blindly strident nationalist" smacks of the type that might
engage in terrorist activities (WTC anyone?).  No, thank you.

I will support every person's right to say whatever and think whatever they
want.  However, when someone that has never posted to the list before (at
least that I can recall), posts a diatribe of that type, at this time - I
take offense.  The forum is not appropriate.  Rescue at sunhelp is a list setup
for and about rescuing older sun equipment.  It not a place to argue
theology/politics/philosphy/etc.

For the record, I also disagree with his post.  It was composed in a manner
that can only be meant to raise an emotional response.  Calling names,
makeing assertions that the US doens't care about any Muslims, saying that
US soldiers are going to shoot stone throwing children.  It was not composed
intelligebly, well thought out, or even logically - MY OPINION.

> > Third - check your facts before sending a message to the list.  A
mistake
> > about the thermal dynamics of a PPro chip are one thing - mistated
figures
> > about how many children died in Iraq post-desert-storm will start a
flame
> > war.
>
> So how many children *have* died as a result of sanctions against
> a country whose infrastructure the U.S. destroyed in the Persian
> Gulf War?  Do you have numbers?  If so, please divulge them and
> their source.  Or do you deny that sanctions have such a perverse
> effect at all?  If so, what is the basis for your denial?  Do you
> disagree with UNICEF's findings?

Frankly, I don't know.  Yes, that's right, I don't know.  However, 30,000
seems like a very arbitrary figure.  My statement was meant as a warning to
ensure the facts are there - not as a rebuttal to the statement.  If the
figure is correct, then so be it, if it is wrong (higher or lower) then I
feel justitifed in my statement.  I do not, however, feel compelled to find
out.  The rest of the statements you make, I'll leave to people who actually
care or have a vested interest in to argue over.  They simply fall on dead
ears (or eyes) here....

Kurt