[geeks] RE: Re: [rescue] God bless America

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 15 18:24:14 CDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 05:44:59AM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> > > Hawaii was not part of the US at the time of Pearl Harbor.
>
> > Your laws applied there; your currency was valid there ...
> Maybe I should have spelled it out. Hawaii was not part of the United STATES at the
> at the time.  Our currency is valid in Puerto Rico, our laws apply (at least most of them)there but you
> better not call them part of the United States. :->

As far as everyone else in the entire world is concerned Hawaii was part
of the US and Puerto Rico is.  Puerto Rico doesn't have any embassies
abroad, it is represented by US embassies.  *That* is what matters, not
some trivial minutiae of domestic law.

Same applies to the Isle of Man, BTW.  As far as the UK is concerned, it
isn't part of the UK.  As far as the rest of the world is concerned, it
is.  And sensible .UKians realise that it really is part of our country
and that the obscure laws governing its relationship with us are pretty
irrelevant.

> > If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it damned well is a duck.
> And you could never accept it if it wasn't a duck.

Huh?

 hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L. Mencken