[geeks] My take

Mike Dombrowski geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 13 13:15:39 CDT 2001

>> Do you *really* think that letting more Americans die in the future
>> because of a failure of the US to take drastic enough action is not
an
>> evil crime?
>
>If you consider that the alternative is to become that which you most
>despise* - that is, to gratuitously slaughter innocents - then it
seems
>to be the lesser of two evils.  The only way you could possibly
justify
>it would be to say that Americans are somehow worth more than others.
>
>>             Coming from Britian you may think differently from us
but
>> your country did the same thing last time they suffered an attack of
>> this magnitude. (WW2)
>
>Yes, I know.  And as far as I'm concerned, the people who made those
>decisions are criminals**.  Of course, the situation is radically
different.
>We were at war.  You are not.  But even so, the destruction of (eg)

We are at war. They were at war. The situation is the same. I wonder
what you would think if bin Laden did this to London then the Afghanis
refused to turn him over and your government couldn't find him. "Oh
well, let him and other terrorists blow up more of my countrymen"? I do
not want to kill Afghanis just to "even the score." What is your
opinion on the A-Bombs? Do you think that was wrong because in all
probability is saved hundreds of thousands of both Japanese and
American lives? If bombing Afghanistan into the ground would prevent a
possible future biological attack on England which would kill hundreds
of thousands what would you think? I usually go through life choosing
the lesser of two evils, in this case the choice is bomb the Afghanis
killing a small segment of the civilian population or loose many tens
of thousands of people to terrorism in the future I choose the option
which results in the least amount of deaths.

Mike