[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: kernel scalability....

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 9 19:46:34 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 18:50:30 (-0400), Linc Fessenden wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Re: kernel scalability....
>
> That is a load of crap.  If you don't like Linux, don't run it, but let's
> not push opinions here.  You want the truth about what Linux is capable
> of, then you do the homework and contact IBM, Compaq, and HP and
> ask.  They are giving Linux their full support and cooperation and for
> some very viable, well thought out and good reasons.

I've read the papers, and I've studied the work done in the past.

I've built and operated large unix servers on traditional
mini/micro/super-mini architectures.  I've been tuning unix and
unix-like kernels for nearly 20 years now.

I really do know what the hell I'm talking about in this case.

>  It's a good OS that
> has come a long way in an extremely short time frame.  It has considerable
> promise.

I'm not disputing any of that -- I'm telling you that any unix-like
operating systems architecture will have one hell of a hard time ever,
and I mean EVER, pushing the same throughput through an s390
architecture machine as the same unix-like kernel running as multiple
instances under VM.  Period.

Even SunOS is being bent, streched, pulled, and pried around to try push
the E10k systems architecture to its theoretical limits, and by experts
smarter than all the rest of us on this list put together.  You'll find
more and more mainframe-like features creeping into SunOS if the
marketplace really does continue to move back towards large datacentre
types of environments.

There is no direct fit for a unix architecture operating system on top
of an s390 architecture machine.  IBM's VM has a very significant
purpose and place in the scheme of things and you'd be wise to
understand it as best you can.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>