[geeks] Woah. HP buys Compaq.

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 4 11:23:34 CDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 12:15:23PM -0400, James Sharp wrote:
> > I'm guessing that HP's PC division will cease to exist, and the "Compaq"
> > side of things will sell PC servers.. while Compaq/DEC has already killed
> > off the Alpha; the server/workstation line will be PA-RISC/IA64.
> You're assuming that that the new HP/Compaq suitdom doesn't kill off the
> PA-RISC in favor of the IA64.

They've already done that, basically - just "re-kickstarted" the PA8600
while IA64 was tooling up.  IA64 is basically "half Intel, half PARISC",
anyway... I think I even read about binary compatibility a couple of
years ago, but they may have changed that.

This certainly explains the Alpha stuff, though.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net