[geeks] Re: Firearms safety ;-)

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 3 01:10:54 CDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 03:36:59PM -0700, Geoff Reed wrote:
> What I was taught was...
>         "Never point a loaded gun at someone unless you intend to use it.
>          Treat all guns as loaded guns.."

Those are somewhat two different things.  I mean (and yeah this is
definately a border case), assume that I'm holding an unloaded gun, and I
want to kill you.  By those rules, I should raise the gun, point at you,
and pull the trigger (since I'm treating it as loaded).  Of course, at
this point I'm screwed since you now know it is an unloaded gun, and also
now have a good reason to try and kill me.

So, you shouldn't ever pointed a gun loaded or unloaded at someone you
don't want to kill, however, you especially should point unloaded guns at
people since you don't want to provoke them when unarmed.

--
Joshua D. Boyd