[geeks] Reflections on an Ultra 60

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 2 00:01:11 CDT 2001

Well, believe it or not, the U60 is one of the few Suns I haven't spent
much time with.  (I think it was limited to tuning one into a SunMC server
to test the E10K modules for SunMC.)

Gee, this is a pretty beefy box.  The dual SCSI is nice, as are the two
UPA slots (like the U30). I have a Creator 3D series 3 in slot 0, a C3D
series 2 in slot 1. (Now I need to hook up a monitor to the second
card...)  With 1G of RAM, dual 300's, and a 10K 18G disk, it's pretty
quick.

OBP is pretty complex as well.  There are options here that I usually
expect to see only in servers. (Well, the E220R is the U60...)  Two
thoughts on this subject:
1) If you know what you are doing, you can relly configure this system to
   do what you want.
2) If you are clueless, you can fuck yourself badly.

BTW, plug for docs.sun.com, it's been a while since I've used it, (I
usually yank the E10K docs I need off of my shelf) but it's pretty cool.
I had some questions, and there was the service manual to answer my
questions.

Now I need to do some OS loads... I am thinking of splitting the 18G drive
into 4G chunks for different OS revs.  (Like maybe one reserved for Sol 9
beta.)

So, I go to play with my toy now.  (I have mixed feelings - on one hand, a
U60 for $800 is cool.  But, all these used systems are driving my Sun
stock into the toilet...)

-Pete

-----
Peter L. Wargo
pwargo at basenji.com
Owner/operator of basenji.com.
"Zamfier has sold more records than the Indigo Girls.  As it should be."