[geeks] number of memory slots in an Ultra 2?

Keith Campbell geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 30 20:07:46 CST 2001

> Well, the old rule of thumb for any Unix system used to be that the
swap
> partition should be at least 2x the size of physical memory. This was
back
> when a machine with 16mb was considered a good machine, so it might be
> different now. Generally when I setup Solaris 8 I make the swap
partition
> 256mb and everything seems to work ok. My U5 has 512mb of memory, but
only
> 128mb of swap, and it runs out all the time :(

It's easy to add swap space.  You don't have to repartition your drives.
You can add a swapfile instead of a swap partition.  (swapfiles might be
a little slower than swap partitions though.)

man mkfile
man swap

You can add/remove swap files on the fly, or put the swap command in a
startup script.

It's better than crashing as long as you have disk space to spare.