[geeks] number of memory slots in an Ultra 2?

Michael S. Schiller geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 30 19:02:56 CST 2001

Well, the old rule of thumb for any Unix system used to be that the swap
partition should be at least 2x the size of physical memory. This was back
when a machine with 16mb was considered a good machine, so it might be
different now. Generally when I setup Solaris 8 I make the swap partition
256mb and everything seems to work ok. My U5 has 512mb of memory, but only
128mb of swap, and it runs out all the time :(

-Mike

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 05:12:36PM -0500, Keith Campbell wrote:
> > I guess I'm spoiled, I've got an Ultra 2 dual 400mhz with 2gig memory
> > plus 2gig swap.  But then again I do a little bit more with it.  (I
> > design printed circuit boards.)
>
> Don't Suns need more swap than they have memory?  I read somewhere that
> the VM needs to have room for the whole ram, plus however much swap space
> you want on the swap partition.  Seems that Linux 2.4.x, x<10 was the same
> way.
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

-Mike
*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *