[geeks] Bastards! ;^)

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 28 15:48:15 CST 2001

My IT group is on to me... ;^)

I just got back from moving my office to it's new home, and I am *pissed*.

First, my office has 2x Cat 5 network ports, plus a PBX phone line - great!

They wire in my desktop into D3 (Data jack #3), Data Jack #4 is empty.

The local network is DHCP, so I try and plug in my Win2K laptop in Jack D4 -
NOTHING.

I go to the wiring closet, and D4 is not jumpered into the Cisco switch, so
I reach into the box of jumper cables, and do so.

NOTHING.

I plug my laptop into D3 (removing my Workstation), and it lites up fine.

So I go into the wiring closet and take a closer look - they pulled half the
wires off my D4 jack (Orange/OrangeWhite & and Blue/BlueWhite)! A close
examination indicates that the wires were in the jack, but got pulled, and
my secondary jack is the only one pulled/disconnected!

BASTARDS!

Yeah, I know, I can take a little hub into the office, but I was hoping to
avoid it, since I already plan to have my wireless accesspoint, and I don't
want to have blinking lights take over the side of my office... (I know, I
know, bad geek - blinking lights *good*, but I'm going for stealth, not
geekpoints!)

Oh, and their DHCP connection only provides an IP and gateway address - DNS
is not provided, and they are blocking all IPs outside their DHCP IP range
is seems, since I can't ping their ISPs DNS servers. This is a remote
office, and everyone has PCs that are only Citrix clients, everyone that get
internet access has (I assume) hard-coded DNS IPs...

BASTARDS!

So, after all that, any interesting stories on getting around corporate
network policies?

Ken