[geeks] SunFire 280R

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 20:05:38 CDT 2001

Back at Bellcore I was supporting an application that was having trouble 'in
the field" but not in our lab. We needed access to these production servers,
but couldn't justify the airfare/hotel. The client *would not* make them
available over any form of public network, and had strict policies over what
could have an open phone line (no modem).

I suggested we send the client a "magic box" with a cell phone and a modem
inside it, just ask them to plug it into thier console port...

Eventually, the manager took pity on us an put a modem on his workstation,
and when we wanted access, we had to call him and ask him to turn it on...

I really liked the "Magic Box" idea... ;^)

Ken