[geeks] SunFire 280R

Bruce Pullig geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 13:44:42 CDT 2001

Ahhh I just found this in the documentation....Interesting stuff.

The Remote System Control (RSC) host controller card provides resident
firmware, a power-on self-test (POST), standby power, backup battery power,
and RSC software that provides simultaneous remote access to the RSC host
via the RSC Ethernet or modem ports.
Caution - The hardware card is installed in every system in the RSC slot.
Never move the RSC card to another system slot, as it is not a
PCI-compatible card.

The card, installed in every system in the RSC slot, features on-board
devices that can monitor and trigger alerts, for example, about host system
resets or power supply failures, or other host system changes. An on-board
RSC thermistor supplies ambient temperature data about the host system to
the firmware and to the installed software.

The RSC card also supports redirection of its host's console to the RSC
connection, and thus provides remote system administration for
geographically distributed or physically inaccessible systems. For
information about redirecting the system console, see How to Redirect the
Host Console to RSC.

Console access also provides secure access to the host system firmware and
permits remote system diagnosis, system reconfiguration, and remote system
rebooting from the ok prompt in the host firmware.

   bpullig at slb.com