Informal Poll WAS RE: [geeks] Laid off blues

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 09:32:31 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 06:32:55AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> But postscript doesn't support the concept of *time* does it?

Time is just a variable that gets incremented every frame.  Well, on
modern systems is sorta runs back and forth for purposes of motion blur.

> I suppose, if you could generate cells for classic animations, and then
> shoot them individually (i.e render the animation as 25 cells/second, drawn
> and colored by a postscript printer, then do a direct transfer just like old
> Walt did "back in the day".

You could do that, but don't they make postscript driven film printers?  I
realize that they are really meant for doing press work, but we would just
need to feed the sheets into a robot that would cut them into strips and
tape them together.

--
Joshua D. Boyd