Informal Poll WAS RE: [geeks] Laid off blues

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 09:29:51 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:41:50AM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Now, I've heard of raytracers written in postscript.  That means that he
> > could do the next Shrek short film, and do the rendering on the nearest
> > postscript printer.  Ooh.  Now the ideas are coming.
>
> Ssssh! They'll feed the cells into the printer and put the animators out
> of a job. Pay some dipshit $5.60 / hr to sequence the cells and push a
> button.

I fail to see how using Postscript printers puts anyone out of
business.  Even the most fantastic complex render still needs scores of
animators.  And postscript printers would just be more complex (but not
nessesarily in the good way) renderers.

> Do you have any idea how much power a room of LaserJet 4000s would
> consume? How much ozone they'd produce? :)

LaserJet 4000s?  No, no, no.  If we are going to do it in black and white,
that should be at least a Typhoon 60.

--
Joshua D. Boyd