Informal Poll WAS RE: [geeks] Laid off blues

John Duksta geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 07:07:46 CDT 2001

At 09:30 PM 10/22/2001 -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
>Lessee:
>
>high school/college: KRPT-FM: Gone (now a satelite station)
>after college: ionet.net (gone, bought by PSI, now part of inter.net)
>after ionet: texas.net (still there)
>after texas.net: comco.com (still there, part of altair.com, but they
>         always were, even when I was there)
>after comco: onr.com (OnRamp) - still there, sunhelp is colo'ed there,
>         and I'll go back to them after I win the lottery to have something
>         to do
>after onr: ConnectSouth - dot bomb, but I bailed before the hammer fell
>after CS: Broadwing, been there a year and a half now.

Ok... I'll pitch in here. For starters, never been laid off (but
with the way things are going at Genuity these days, noone is
safe)

Borah Associates (closely held pension and benefits firm) - Almost gone
DCA - Swallowed up by Attachmate while I was there, Attachmate still going.
Xyplex - Bought and sold so many times it'll make your head spin
INS - Intl Network Services. Bought by Lucent a couple of years ago
       From the rumors I've heard, Lucent Prof Services may be either
       shut down or spun off soon.
GTEI/Genuity - Still around, but we're now on our 3rd round of layoffs
       Don't think we'll be going under (as we've got something like
       $4B in the bank) but they're just trying to make us 'lean and mean'

-john

--
John Duksta           | "No! You can't take my Focusyn! I need every brain
Security Engineer     |  cell blazing to outwit my invisible enemies."