Informal Poll WAS RE: [geeks] Laid off blues

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 21:09:17 CDT 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Geoff Reed wrote:

> Got DotCommed on Jan 11th, and still am looking for work :( I've lost count
> of the mnumber of resume's I've sent out but I know that at each of the
> hitech job fairs here in the seattle area I've submitted between 50 (small
> fair) and 250 (big fair) resumes :(  and still not a peep :(

I don't really count, the last time was in 1996 - I was forced to lay
staff of, then I got whacked.  Only 3 months on the job, just moved from
NY to NM, Chan didn't have a job yet, and we were FLAT broke...

I hated it, vowed Id never lay somebody off again.  Left NCGR before it
went wonky, and I *think* I'll be good at Sun for a while.

Of the Places I've worked since college, only NCGR & Sun survive:
-WVNC-FM - gone
-Enable Software - gone
-TV Data Technologies - bought out.
-CommTek Communications - gone