Informal Poll WAS RE: [geeks] Laid off blues

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 14:59:06 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 08:52:16PM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Okay time for another informal poll.
> How many of us on this list have been laid of, made redundant, downsized,
> restructured, or otherwise terminated without cause in the last year?

I bailed from ConnectSouth last July, when i saw the writing on the wall.
They finally tanked this past February, *hard*.  Among the funnier things
was the sale of the PCs - my ex-boss went back, bought 3 or 4 of them, and
one of them turned out to be the machine that had all the employee badge
pictures on it.. He put them up on his web site. 8-)

I got satisfaction out of the fact that out of 300 or so laptops that had
been issued to people out in the field, they only got 150 or so back to
sell at the auction (for pennies on the dollar).  Serves them right for
screwing over so many people when they finally went under (no vacation pay,
no severance, and most people got shorted on their last check - hell, two
months before I quit, I got email from HR: "Oh, we've been underpaying you
for the past four months, here's a check for $x...")

I'm glad to be working for a company thats at least making money..

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net