[geeks] Mac and Cheese (aka Kraft Dinner)

Michael S. Schiller geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 09:55:05 CDT 2001

Actually there's a story behind Ketchup vs Catsup. It seems that a company
(I think it was Hunt, but might have been Heinz) had the name 'Ketchup'
trademarked (or copywritten, don't remember exactly), so all the other
companies had to stop using it. So they started using Catsup instead. This
was apparently a long time ago, and the tm or (c) or whichever has expired,
so some companies have gone back to Ketchup, while others stay with Catsup.
Just another example of a totally useless fact that I used to know much
better years ago :)

-Mike

s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Ken Hansen wrote:
>
> > ketchup (not catsup,
>
> I'm reminded of my first year in Israel...
>
> I was at dinner in a cafe with a few other Americans, and someone wanted
> ketchup, but none of us knew what it was called in Hebrew. Ever the
> wiseass, I asked the waiteress for "marak hatul" (cat soup). She looked
> at me funny, and suddenly laughed out loud as she got it and brought out
> a bottle of Heinz.
>
> Turns out there is no Hebrew word for ketchup. it's just ketchup.
>
> ---sambo

-Mike
*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *