[geeks] wearable computers for Linux / FreeBSD?

Zach Malone geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 21 11:14:23 CDT 2001

I've been looking at wearable stuff for a couple years now, right now, the
best way to go (IMHO) is with a LART (http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/,
180-220mhz StrongARM chip, 32mb of RAM), which are availible from
http://www.aleph1.co.uk/armlinux/LART/index.html if you dont want to build
the boards yourself.  For a display, the MicroOptical ones look very nice
(http://www.microopticalcorp.com/Products/index.html), they are currently
going for 1500$ for the 640x480 HMD model.  IBM makes those compact-flash
drives, and with a 100$ adapter you can hook them up to the LARTs IDE port,
and finally, grab some Sony li-ion batteries to power it.  If you would
prefer to go with an x86 compatible machine, look into the PC-104 and
PC-104+ stuff, Ampro (http://www.ampro.com/index.asp) makes good boards,
although they are less powerful then the LARTs dollar for dollar (if I
remember correctly), and definatly consume more power.  Hope that helps,
    Zach