[geeks] floortile ready sun systems, as seen on sunhelp.org...

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 21 09:25:41 CDT 2001

I used to work for an IBM division that built-up servers, desktops,
workstations, and POS terminals and shipped them client-sites with all
options/software pre-installed. They would take new equipment, add
upgrades/options, then re-pack and then put all the pieces in an "over pack"
container. They used to do things like turnover all the POS terminals in a
large retail store overnight... The trick was they set the POS terminal
settings before shipment, sothe IBM SE only had to open the box, distribute
the pieces, plug them into each other and be done!

Companies would pay a lot for that service... And IBM was doing *tremendous*
business when I was there (8-10 years ago)... The key was that IBM had SEs
allover the country, so their only expense was the facilities to
pre-configure the machines (IBM had 5 IIRC, all near FedEx Hub facilities,
so they could configure systems until almost 11:00 PM and still have the box
arrive less than 12 hours later *anywhere inthe US*.

Just think if Sun could do that!

Ken