[geeks] gun collectors?

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 19 17:56:24 CDT 2001

> All properly marked and identified semiautomatic pistols and revolvers
>  used by, or mfd. for, any military organization prior to 1946.

Includes the Colt 1911 .45 ACP.  Imagine that!  Also includes the highly
sought after Lugers, Ruger, and Mausers - if you can find 'em...

> Personally, I"d say most of these arent going to be fired, just collected.

Hrm.  Dunno about that - I try to shoot all mine once or twice per year.
Gives me an excuse to shoot stuff - the excuse I use is "to ensure they're
in proper working order, and to make sure they're good and greased up all
the time".  Mostly it's just fun, though.

(yes - I only fire at designated areas, and belong to a gun club where I pay
for the priviledge.)

> >From looking at things, they're a lot cheaper to collect than computers.
8-)

I found, not too long ago, a stockpile of German Police revolvers
manufactured prior to 1939 - Mausers I think, not sure.  At any rate,
they're hard tocome by, and this retailer only wanted about $90 a piece.
You can bet, by the time I called, they were all gone.

> Plus, I can store them nicely in the garage, out of Amy's way.

Dinna forget your gun safe, didja?  Check your locality's laws.  You're in
Texas so things might be more relaxed, but round here (RI) I have to keep
most of my guns in a safe, along with a ledger of all of my FFL guns in case
the local police come by to do an audit.  My non-FFL guns don't need to be
tracked or registered (except the handguns) and can be placed anywhere in
the house.

FWIW, I keep *all* my guns in the safe, in the garage, chained to a
centerpost.  I have two small kids - and they're not quite ready to handle
actual firearms.  I have, however, started them on the Airsoft and paintball
guns - teaching them proper handling and safety.  Those Airsoft guns are
pretty good for teaching that stuff.  I have a Glock 17 that can't be
discerned from an original (real steal) except by an experienced shooter.
Very realistic.  Those also go into the Gun Safe.

Can't be too paranoid about that stuff with a kids aged 2 and 4 in the
house.

Kurt