[geeks] setting browser default home page

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 18 14:00:21 CDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:16:55PM -0400, Edward Chase wrote:
> I kind of like the idea of informing the students of the closure.
> Going with your thought, let's say for some reason a student has bookmarked
> www.theothersite.com/somewebpage.html
> wouldn't they end up attempting to get
> www.providence.edu/somewebpage.html and then end up with a Page Not Found
> error?

Not if you set up a named-based vhost on your machine, that for all intents
and purposes thinks that its www.theothersite.com.  Then, *only for that
vhost*, do a :

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.theothersite.com

That way, they get the "main page" informing them of the closure no matter
what they request - because they're getting sent that as the *error page*,
too.

See http://www.sunhelp.org/pages.php as an example - I have a "normal"
404 error page, but could easly just redirect everyone back to the main
page instead of an error page.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford