[geeks] Vegetarianism... was Re: [rescue] Friggin huge list m embers!)

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 17 05:16:52 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:34:45PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2001 11:11, you wrote:
> > We've got the teeth for it, and we've got the intestines for it.
> Any carnivore would fall about laughing at that, although it's true to
> an extent.

Exactly.  Because we're omnivores, our bodies are a compromise.  But we
are still adapted to eat meat.

> > Those are nothing to do with choosing to eat meat or not, and
> > everything to do with stupid farmers cutting costs to please the
> > supermarkets.
> The (UK) farmers would argue that they're forced into it all by the
> power of the supermarkets, and that they don't know what gets put into
> animal feed. Not sure I agree with them, but I'm getting very cynical
> about (UK) farmers.

Me too.  It's all "wah, want subsidies, wah! <throws toys on floor>".
Ghod alone knows why the fraction of a percent of the population which
tills the soil is considered to be so damned important when we already
import more than half our food.

> > And there is some debate over whether BSE is transmissible to humans.
> Really? How do they explain new varient CJD then ?

The abstract I read (couldn't be arsed to read the whole paper, and
probably wouldn't have understood it anyway) didn't offer an explanation,
but said that the correlation with BSE was not strong enough to draw
conclusions.

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson