[geeks] quick static linking question

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 11 13:36:05 CDT 2001

I want to write a quick little program that uses a library (GTK
specifically) to be distributed in binary form.  OK, the program is mostly
written.  But I'm having trouble determining for sure how to make sure
that it is statically linked.  Assuming that I have both .so and .a
versions in the lib directories, is adding the -static flag really all I
need?  Is there any way to easily verify that the program was statically
linked short of uninstalling the relevent libraries or finding a machine
without them?

And to think that I need 6 more elective credits and I'm done with
the major portion (as opposed to the general education portion) of my CS
degree.

--
Joshua D. Boyd