[geeks] Re: [rescue] The war begins....

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 14:13:02 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 10:08:28AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > I'll be sure to tell my MP that the only possible response to the next IRA
> > attack is to blow shit up.  That would, of course, fly in the face of the
> > great success that has been had from talking to people and negotiating to
> > address their concerns.
> Have you seen the efforts of trying to talk to the Taliban and to Al Quaeda?

I don't recall anyone trying.

> A couple months ago, the pictures of Loyalists and Orangement tossing
> bottles, throwing insults,  and spitting upon gradeschool girls on their way
> to class made me want to *puke*.

At least they weren't blowing each other up.  At least they could walk in
their own country without being shot.  Yes, that's progress.

>                                   Is this progress?  If so, I can do without
> the talk.

You would prefer that they shot at each other instead?

> Aside from that, what actions does your MP take?  They bust into homes of
> suspected terrorists (IRA or Loyalist), pull them out, and drop them in
> jail.  They certainly don't do *nothing*.  They don't *talk* to the
> terrorists and ask them not to do it.

Ah, but not only do they put those suspected of crimes on trial, there was
also dialogue with their political representatives when it was realised that
fighting wouldn't solve anything.  The nationalist terrorists then declared
a ceasefire which has held, despite outrageous provocation from loyalist
thugs.  Decommissioning weapons is a current bone of contention, but at
least as I see it, the pIRA is negotiating in good faith.  Unfortunately
the loonie fringe of the unionist movement is fucking around.

>                                       How are we supposed to do that in
> Afghanistan?  The situation is compounded by the fact this guy is hiding in
> a country with a government very freindly to his cause.

In northern Ireland, opportunities for dialogue very quickly presented
themselves once the government made it obvious they were willing to take
their opponents seriously.  Likewise in Palestine.  Initial contacts
between the UK govt and nationalist representatives were unofficial.  I can
guarantee that the US has the capability to make unofficial contact with
Mr. bin Laden and its other opponents.  In any case, there are *plenty*
of others out there with the same aims as him who are much easier to get
to.  And you could show good faith without even talking to him - one of
his aims is a fair settlement in Palestine.

    Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason
    to invent, one never ceases to be baffled by the minuscule
    number whose shape even vaguely resembles a circle.
                                                      -- anon, on Usenet