[geeks] Re: [rescue] The war begins....

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 13:15:43 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:32:53PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > <boggle> it's just a bit of cloth, it's not like they're killing innocent
> > civilians or anything!  And can you define 'extremist'?
> One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm, especially in
> politics.

Which begs the question, define 'the norm'.  I can assure you that in the
larger scheme of things US society and mainstream US politics is very much
abnormal.

> Why do you think every retail establishment ran out of flags and RW&B
> merchandise in the days following the attacks?  Why did a poster company
> down the street retool their production floor at the end of the day to
> produce *nothing but flag posters* in order to *give them away* the next
> morning.

Because doing so was fantastic publicity and the money lost by doing it
could be recouped many times over in the resulting new business?

Cynical?  Moi? :-)

>              I fly a flag on my car's antenna, I display one in my window,
> and one hangs above my desk in my office.  I *always* display one
> somewhere - even before the attacks.

That seems *really* weird to me!

> It is *not* just a "piece of cloth".  I'll forgive your sentiment though,
> since it seems you live here and don't quite understand the feelings I
> share.            ^

Did you miss out a "don't" there?  You're quite right, I find this flag
thing quite incomprehensible.  I can choose from two national flags - those
of England and of the UK - and neither of them mean anything.  They really
are just pieces of cloth.  About the only times you regularly see them here
is over government buildings and being sold to gullible tourists.

> > Hmmm, rather inappropriately, Stu Hamm's rendition of the Star Spangled
> > Banner just came on my random mp3 thingy.  He actually makes it sound
> > like music unlike the ghastly warbling sopranos I usually hear.
> Never heard it, my fav version is by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.  Very
> upbeat version, complete with horn section, distorted guitars, and the raspy
> (3 pack a day Marlboro Reds, I'm told) voice.

http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/stu-hamm--star-spangled-banner.mp3

   Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
   unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
   while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                              -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery