[geeks] Dress for Success

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 6 13:35:43 CDT 2001

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> My personal clothing choices are simple - I wear clean jeans, sneakers, and
> either a company T-shirt *or* an EddieBauer Tall XL solid color T-shirt, w/o
> pocket. My clothing range is quite limited, but all are in good condition,
> fit well, and are professional *enough* for my company.

Sun: "The only dress code is that you must."  Before my accident, I
usually wore jeans or dockers with a polo shirt.  Sometimes a T-shirt if I
was in the mood.  Since the accident, I've worn shorts and a T-shirt most
of the time, as I am forced to wear sandles on my feet still.  When i can
wear sneakers again, I may go to just chinos/dockers, as jeans will seem
heavy after 5 months in shorts.

> After an upcoming corp. re-org/re-structure, I'll probably wind up upgrading
> to collared polo shirts full-time (as I enter Mgmt.) - I feel a manager
> should always dress as better than the folks below them ;^)

When I was manager, it was jeans/polo shirt 99% of the time.  If I had to
visit somewhere (like the DOE, or a collaborator), I wore slacks and a
shirt, both tailored.  Sun, we are left up to our judgement when it comes
to visiting a customer site.  I usually ask the SSE what to wear.  Except
Japan, where you *know* you'll be wearing a suit...

> Fit is the most important thing - the proper size dress shirt (esp. neck
> size) can make a huge difference in how you look in a suit (comfortable vs
> uncomfortable).

Yep, and a well-tailored setup is a must, IMO.  Especially for us larger
gents.  I actually need to go get some new duds, as the last time I had
anything fitted was when I weighed over 270.  Now that I'm around 220,
stuff looks a tad loose. :-)

-Pete