[geeks] Custom NFS servers

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 26 10:54:28 CST 2001

[ On Monday, November 26, 2001 at 02:51:27 (-0500), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Custom NFS servers
>
> A few years ago I read an article in Linux Journal about writing custom NFS
> servers in Perl as an easy way to create new file systems.  In particular the
> author was using this method to create a revision control system that could be
> queried by the path name.  His argument for the custom NFS server was that it
> was easier that writing his own kernel file system.

Well, it's not actually an NFS file server per se -- it's just using the
same kernel hooks to user-land processes for filesystems as NFS uses.

In *BSD-land you can do some of this with the portal daemon (which
provides an "open" service where opens of filenames under the portal
filesystem are translated into calls to some program which might hand
back a socket, for example).  See mount_portal(8).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>