[geeks] Custom NFS servers

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 26 08:40:23 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:51:27AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> A few years ago I read an article in Linux Journal about writing custom NFS
> servers in Perl as an easy way to create new file systems.  In particular the
> author was using this method to create a revision control system that could be
> queried by the path name.  His argument for the custom NFS server was that it
> was easier that writing his own kernel file system.
>
> I thought it would be cool to look into an FTP and http file system.  Imagine
> /http/www.sunhelp.org/index.html ...

ftp and http filesystems are the two examples distributed with perlfs, a
bunch of mad shit which lets you write filesystems in userland in perl.
Unfortunately, the perlfs site <http://www.assurdo.com/PerlFS> seems to
have died.  If you care to do a little detective work, the author is still
at Edinburgh University.

You may find this useful:
  http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1999-05-02-006-10-NW-SM

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie