[geeks] How to confuse an induhvidual

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 11:24:29 CST 2001

While trying to place a prescription order with *Gigantica Planet-Wide
Health Care*, I was tripped up by the phone reps read-back of my address
"and your zip code is oh-3287?". I had to stop and think for a second why my
brain-train derailed and I realized what it was. I said "I'm sorry, but zip
codes don't contain letters, only numbers". What followed was a confusing
back and forth discussion as I tried to define a common language for us to
use. I did get her to use the word zero, but everything else went to hell.
She was so blown away that I'm sure my prescription will be completely wrong
and get shipped to East Slobavia. In fact, I doubt she'll get any of her
orders correct for the rest of the day.

My other favorite is people who cannot fathom counting from zero. Zero is a
perfectly good number with some excellent and unique properties, and yet
people discriminate against it. There should be a zero's anti-defamation
league.

Is it just me? Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and said "um, yes, its
oh-3287".