[geeks] Some folks think I go too wide ;^) well, what do they know, I simply type into my mail client and leave the formatting to the client - if the client can't handle my format, well, that is the result of your personal choice I guess. Ken (whew!)

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 16 12:51:47 CDT 2001

> I know about the big button on the right, but I choose to let the receiver
> determine where the lines should break - if I insert *arbitrary* line breaks
> where *I think* they should break,it will either a) underutilize that big,
> wide, 21" monitor you're sitting in front of, or, b)if you happen to be
> enjoying my ramblings on a PDA, Palm or other landscape-challenged device, you
> will see the oddest collection of truncated lines across your screen.

you mean the big, wide 21" monitor with the 80 column wide rxvts on it? :)
ok, point.  i also noticed something, mutt is smart enough to do line breaks
on word boundries whereas elm was too dumb to do that.  that's fine for reading,
now i just gotta teach mutt to a) not put those annoying + marks and b) split
the message before it hands it to vi for reply editing.

> What is the lowest common denominator column width for an email client - 20
> years ago, that was easy, your terminal was either 40 (apple II), 64 (TRS-80)
> or 80 columns wide (CP/M, Workstation TTY). Now that I can get email on my cell
> phone *and* my 21" monitor, there seems to be no good default.

1 wide by 1 high of course.

> Sorry.
> Personal choice.

yeah, well my personal choice is to be a prick, so you learn to live with me
and i'll learn to live with you. :) (disclaimer: this is a joke, just in case
your sense of humor isn't as screwed up as mine)

> (Reminds me of the guy that was threatening to boot folks off "his" maillist
> because we posted replies *above* the original post, not after, where god had
> intended)

hey, this is *MY* list, i mean, uhm, yeah bill, i am you and i claim your list.

-bill (*cough* i mean brian, i think)