[geeks] Linc is cool

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 16 12:36:53 CDT 2001

> I didn't think I was going to touch this testy subject, but, there is
> *one* reason I can think of to use Linux on robust SPARC hardware.....

i didn't think i would either, but......

> Solaris is System V based. There are BSD based Linuxen (such as Debian)
> for those who hate System V structure.

there is also NetBSD (chosen since it runs on almost everything) although
OpenBSD and FreeBSD are both excellent choices as well.

> I know for myself, I was raised with SysV (some of it genuine AT&T). We
> are now using lots of Debian at work and I have a hard time getting used
> to its differences.

i started out a BSD guy.  absolutely hated SysV.  but now, after so many years,
i've learned to like them both.

> But I have always liked hardware with a native O/S (like Apple Macintosh,
> HP, Digital VAX, etc). When the O/S is specific to the hardware things
> just go better all the way around (esp. during installs).

exactly how i feel.  who knows Suns better than Sun? no one, that's who.

-brian