[geeks] note to self

Tim Harrison geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 16 02:23:24 CDT 2001

Bill Bradford wrote:

> New requirement for all <company I work for> NOCs:
>
> A DAMN RADIO FOR WHEN YOURE INSTALLING A SYSTEM AT
> 2 IN THE MORNING AND HAVE NOTHING BUT A BOOK.
>
> These damn fans are white noise, which tends to put
> me to sleep..

When I used to do maintenance every Tuesday and Thursday mornings, I'd
be the only one in the office from 2am - 6am.  I took to bringing in a
wide selection of CDs (from New Order to Pink Floyd to Rush) and turning
the CD player up A LOT.  I swear, the equipment would behave much more
respectably when they were diggin' the groovy tunes. :)

As for me, I just got paged awake by the overnight crew for a switch
port that's dropping packets for a machine that's rarely used. :/  Oh
the joy.  The upside is, I *rarely* get called after hours.

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer
harrison at timharrison.com