[geeks] Computer beauty

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 22:32:47 CDT 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:58:01PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> Also, go way way back: all the tube machines are gorgeous. IBM
> punched card equipment from the 50s has beautifull metal detailing.
> All of the peripherals for the IBM 360 had glass panels so you could
> see the guts - drum storage, hard drive platters, massive core planes,
> all exposed. Very futurist looking.

You'd love my copies of "IBM's Early Computers" and then followup
book about the 360/370 and all the development involved.

Anybody ever notice that airport ticket counters look like they were
designed in the 50s and never updated?  They remind me of
IBM punchard stuff from the 50s.. that "hulking grey metal with
chrome" feel.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford