[geeks] Computer beauty

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 20:58:01 CDT 2001

wstan at localhostnl.demon.nl writes:

>I think we are definitely at a point where computers are
>regarded as more than "fancy adding machines". Some may
>even consider them fashionable.
>Other than the iMac, does anyone have a favorite computer
>design? I came upon an image of the Cray-2 which I
>have heard others describe as a thing of beauty. I tend
>to agree. Anyone have other favorites?

>Cray-2 http://www.localhostnl.demon.nl/crayimage.jpg

The Thinking Machines CM-2A is incredibly rad.

I don't have any photos unfortunately (if anyone knows of any, please
post a URL!) but basicly: it's a pedistal about 2.5' x 2.5', 4' high.
The entire thing, except for about 6" at the bottom is featureless dark
plexiglass. When running, there's a bazillion blinkenlights visible
behind the plexiglass.  The very bottom is slightly recessed
featureless black metal. On the back, bottom, there's a few cables, and
two key-switches: on/off and open/closed.

That's it. No logo, no name, nothing.

When you switch the key from "closed" to "open", a motor inside lifts
the entire plexiglass cover straight up to give access to the guts.

It's *so* excessively sci-fi. And really tiny for a supercomputer!

Awesome.

Also, go way way back: all the tube machines are gorgeous. IBM
punched card equipment from the 50s has beautifull metal detailing.
All of the peripherals for the IBM 360 had glass panels so you could
see the guts - drum storage, hard drive platters, massive core planes,
all exposed. Very futurist looking.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --