[geeks] This bogles my mind

Amy geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 15:43:54 CDT 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Why August?  Because it's too hot to put hot stuff in your lungs (at
> least that is how I feel about hot food then)? Why not now? Or September?

first off, i'm not gonna be anywhere near human beings while in the
initial 48 hour quitting period--screw the patch, i'm quitting cold. so
bill suggested (and i couldnt help but agree) that putting me on a cruise
ship, alone, for 4 nights with no smokes and no way to get any--most
ships operate on a cashless basis and i wouldnt get off the ship--would
probably get me over the initial shock of it all.

the first 48 hours is vital. i tend to snap viciously at anyone within
range if i'm out of cigarettes, so its best that i be pretty much locked
up and virtually alone. i'll have satellite tv, room service, and a
verandah that overlooks the ocean. i should be fine. i'll sleep a lot.
i'll tell the cabin steward to stay away if he values his testicles.

it's a great bribe. its an excellent compromise.

so the reason "why august" is due to ship sailing times/availability of
cabins/reservations, etc.

> I think the idea he was trying to express was that while you may work
> faster after a cig than you would have just before, that you would work
> faster still if the habit was totally kicked.

nope, you misinterpreted. smoking never affected my performance
speed-wise, whether before or after a cigarette. it has made me "edgy" to
be around, though, when under severely stressful situations.

> Don't forget people under 25 'cause they are more accident prone.
> Actually, people with pre-existing medical conditions have a hard time
> getting insurance with their job.  A major problem with my family (where
> there are numerous very expensive pre-existing conditions).

i was worried about bill's insurance paying for his cpap thing, so i can
well empathize.

> Speaking of which, has anyone yet made a cigerette that doesn't taste like
> burning paper?

a couple of years ago they came out with so-called smokeless cigarettes.
they just tasted like..dirty water. not a big improvement, certainly no
impetus to quit. and then there are the ginseng nicotine-free cigarettes
sold at whole foods...those just taste like ass and smell like pig farts.
and then there are cloves, that taste sweet but make your lungs bleed.
yay?

--a