[geeks] This bogles my mind

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 11:20:04 CDT 2001

So, if I have a squeaky clean record, does that mean that I should have a
dirty life?  Or do I just need to soil the record.

When I worked for a pharmaceutical company at a manufactoring plant, I
never heard anything about a background check being done.  And I had free
access to all the production lines, etc.

I wonder what would turn up that I don't already know.  I know a few wierd
people, but not many.

It is hard to call being on video constantly a civil liberties violation.
I would consider my right not to be taped to be less than my right to have
a record of what happened on my property.  I think that all video
survailence should be obvious though.  The problem is that my video
camera's might capture what happens outside of my property to.  For
instance, I would like a video feed of people who enter my driveway.  I
can't think of anyway of doing that without capturing information like who
enters a neighbors driveway, or who goes down the street.  If I installed
such a thing, I would have an established policy (I'm told that if you
just follow an established policy, that you can't be gotten for
destruction of evidence) of erasing such records daily when I'm home, and
having an automated process delete sections of video that don't have
activities occuring in my driveway (in other words, the camera would be
motion sensitive, and then a computer would edit out motion that isn't on
my driveway.

The other problem is that while I feel I have a right to monitor what
happens on my property, I won't appreciate it if someone tries to subpeona
my records because they might inadvertantly tell them something about my
neighbors.  This is exactly how Timothy McVeigh was tracked.  The store
owners cameras also caught part of the street, and the FBI took all that
footage and was able to retrace where the van came from.

I'd be interested in seeing confirmation of the phones being monitored and
the email read by people other than my ISPs employees.

--
Joshua Boyd