[geeks] This bogles my mind

Michael S. Schiller geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 09:53:28 CDT 2001

ward at zilla.nu wrote:

> I've noticed that very few of the folks who oppose drug tests don't do
> drugs, or at least haven't done drugs.  I'm very interested in personal
> privacy and civil liberties, but I really don't see how a drug test
> invades these rights.  Doesn't a background check invade ones privacy
> much more?  Yet nobody ever seems to oppose background tests.
>
> Reagen

The big difference between a drug test, and a background check is that a
background check checks publicly available records. A drug test can be used
for lots more than just checking for drugs. For example if you're diabetic it
will show up in urine. If you have liver problems or kidney problems it will
show up in a urine test. So these companies can look and say "gee, he doesn't
do drugs, but his kidneys aren't in the best condition, if we hire him, and
add him to our health insurance, it's gonna cost us, better not hire him!"

And we still have the issue of proving one's innocence before the fact. And
no, I don't do drugs.

-Mike

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *