[geeks] IBM Z series servers

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 08:10:43 CDT 2001

I hear that there is a company up in Canada doing that, and of course, the
Italian telco is the most famous case.  Well, I don't remeber what the
Italian telco is doing, but it had something to do with special high
speed connections to customers, and needing a "dedicate machine" for each
customer.  But then, they found that a new VM partition was close enough
to a dedicated computer to do the job, and save them a lot of money in the
process.

Personally, I couldn't really see wanting to use an IBM for much else than
a database server, but if I had one, I suppose a few small partitions for
email and dns wouldn't hurt.

--
Joshua Boyd