[geeks] life

John Duksta geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 05:46:36 CDT 2001

At 12:02 AM 6/28/2001 +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 dave at cca.org wrote:
> > (The Locust) being absolutely incredible, the show had one of the
> > most intense mosh pits I've been in that didn't involve getting
> > punched. There's a certain style of moshing that involes a lot of
> > people getting hit, which isn't fun. This one was fun, and only
> > resulted in slight bruising. :-)
>
>You should try attending one in the Deep South. Half the crowd understands
>that they are at a rock concert and This Stuff Happens Normally; the other
>half thinks they are in a fight or something and attack those around them.
>It's brutal, for no good reason. I've got a friend down here from Philly;
>he said that these are the most violent pits he's ever seen.

As far as I'm concerned, decent mosh pits died somewhere around 1989,
e.g. about the time that what used to be 'alternative' music became
mainstream. Once the baseball-cap-wearing-meathead-jocks started
going to shows it was all over. That's when it degenerated into a
stupid mess of elbows and fists. I once saw a bunch of meatheads
"moshing" at a They Might Be Giants show, ugh...

-john