[geeks] another flameware

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 00:01:27 CDT 2001

On 25 Jun 2001 22:27:55 -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Okay.  UPSes.
>
> I've always been partial to APC, but have been looking at the
> newer Tripp-Lite stuff (under 500 watts, this is for individual
> machines and such).  Opinions?  I saw an APC Matrix *survive* an
> arcing/shorting transformer on the pole outside once, it just
> made *WONK* sounds every time a surge hit.. but all the equipment
> survived. 8-)

We've got 5 TrippLite 2200s, an APC SmartUPS 1400 and an RM3000, and a
Best floating unit rated at 1.8KVa.  We get lots of fried squirrels, and
other power flickers.  We'll have 1 or 2 outages that are upwards of
several minutes.  None of the clamping devices seem to work
consistently.  They'll hold one hit, but fail on the next one, then hold
for a few more.  It's not always the same UPS, nor does it fail every
time.  That floating unit on our Vax is absolutely 100% rock solid.  And
huge (it's as big as the 4000-400 we've got).  I'm not a big fan of the
mid-range clamping devices.
The personal (650VA and smaller) APC units that we've got seem to be
pretty reliable, but they are really dumb.  If you're lucky, they can
tell you that you're on battery, but chances of the battery meter being
acurate are about nil.
	Greg