[geeks] Big Damn File System....

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 22 16:08:26 CDT 2001

Well, last time I looked, it was impossible to boot from a RAID device,
which is a pretty major downfall.  Also, I don't think the code is all that
well optimized for RAID operations, although it could be getting there.
Linux may have a hard time with the boot FS on RAID 5, but it works
perfectly well with boot on RAID 1.  Plus, the RAID code in 2.4 is a full
generation ahead of even the patches for 2.2.x, even though they're said to
be pretty similar.

> BTW, all of the BSD's, AFAIK, have software RAID. FreeBSD has
> vinum, and
> Net/Open have raidframe. I haven't used any of it; all of my
> software RAID
> experience to date has been with DiskSuite.

Ah, good to know.  I've not looked at Free very much, because it doesn't run
on any of my hardware, except the DEC 3000, and that's dedicated to OpenVMS.

	Greg