[geeks] OT: (Off topic) Computer/Internet-related content

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 17:38:23 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 04:48:16PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> "Because they aren't official top-level domains, the top-level domains set up
> by New.net require Internet users to install a small software application that
> will allow a user's computer to find the domains on the Internet.

Specifically, it's an IE add-on, so it won't even work for other Winblows
mail clients.

>                                                                   New.net also
> has agreements with several large national Internet service providers that
> automatically are set up to recognize the company's top-level domains. "
>
> E.g., a hack.  bogus.  If I cant hit a domain from the root nameservers,
> in my view, it doesent exist.

I believe that foo.bogusdomain also resolves as foo.bogusdomain.new.net.
Which is, in fact, all that the IE add-on does.

I wonder if new.net will tell their customers just how shafted they will
be when they tell someone their email address @foo.bogusdomain?

--
David Cantrell | david at cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie