[geeks] RE: How to find qualified folks

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 13:03:59 CDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, James Fogg wrote:

> My guess would be the fun factor and the resume geewizzardry is missing in the
> job description.

That's probably correct.  A lot of us young-uns don't feel much need to
work at boring places for low amounts of cash.  It either needs to be fun
or high paying (better yet, both).  Otherwise, why did we invest all that
time in education when we could have saved money and gotten $32k/yr at
nearby parsel delivery service which not that long ago was hiring at
something like $16/hr.

At least, that is how some people see it.  Then there are the people who
skipped school anyway to work in the techno industry.

> I came from a corporate networking background and entered the Internet world
> (too late from the stock options point of view), so I know how to conduct
> myself in the biz world. Many people don't want that gig. They want
> t-shirts, shorts, sneakers, free soda, pizza parties, secure parking
> for their Vespa scooters and no time accounting/flex hours.

I gotta say, low time accountability is nice.  I work 40 hours, just sign
my name on a time sheet.  Work more or less, I write that down, then sign
name.  Never worked anyplace much stricter than that.

Secure parking is also really nice (and I think pretty much every employer
should make a reasonable attempt to provide it, either by being in a
low crime area, or at least by cutting a deal with a reasonably secure
parking garage.  All the other perks you list don't really mean much to me
or most of the people I know.

But then, I don't come from a hot bed of technotivity, so maybe us hicks
standards is lower.

--
Joshua Boyd