DIY Plumbing (was: Re: [geeks] FS: Javastation 1)

John Duksta geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 11:33:37 CDT 2001

At 10:09 AM 6/18/2001 -0400, James Fogg wrote:
>Bill, did DIY ever cross your mind? Its how I survive.

I had to do a little DIY plumbing this weekend. I've been
waiting for the plumber that did all the work on the condo
here to hook up our ice maker for like 6 months. He's a flake
and must be put down.

So... with the heat of summer settling it, I tackled the
fairly minor task of hooking this up. First off, I didn't
want to use one of those Saddle/Tap valve, because I hate
the idea of putting a hole in my kitchen sink cold water feed
before the valve. So I got a 3/8" to 1/4" compression T fitting
and put that on. Then I used the tubing and fittings from the
icemaker hookup kit (while tossing the tap valve) to hook it all up.
Had to drill two holes in my cabinets to run the tubing through.
Hooked it all up, tested it. No leaks on the first try.

Parts: $11.95
My Time: about 45 minutes = $112.50 (based on $150/hr)

Estimate from one plumber I called: $350

Savings: $225.55

Suppose it doesn't hurt that my dad was a Master Plumber (as well
as a Master Electrician) and that I grew up going on service calls
with him. I was sweating pipes at 11 yrs old.

Anyway... moral of the story is: Plumbers will rake you over given
the opportunity. It's not hard as long as you take your time.

-john